NAMI NJ in Spanish
NAMI NJ en Español is an awareness & education program developed by NAMI New Jersey to serve the Hispanic/Latino community in New Jersey.
Goals of the Program:
• Provide support and information to families affected by mental illness.
• Encourage an understanding of mental illness among the Hispanic/Latino population.
• Increase the level of cultural competency among mental health providers.
• Provide education for mental health professionals to help them better understand cultural and treatment issues relevant to this population.
• Help break the barriers of stigma and shame associated with mental illness that exist within the Hispanic/Latino culture.
• Increase awareness of resources available so families can live a healthy and productive life.
• Provide information and referral service.
• Educate Family members in their own language to help them find understanding, acceptance and support.
Self Help Support Groups
In NAMI NJ en Español Self-Help support groups conducted in Spanish, caring family members help one another learn to cope with the effects of mental illness. They find understanding, acceptance and mutual support in times of crisis. The groups offer hope, support, education, and a community of friends who understand.
MIDDLESEX COUNTY (View Flyer)
HARMONY FAMILY SUCCESS CENTER/PRAB (THIRD FRIDAY)
255 Livingston Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Time 11:00 am to 1:00 pm (light lunch) (Spanish)
NOTE: All groups meet once a month except where indicated. All groups close in August. We suggest that participants call to confirm their attendance specially during the winter months. For more information pertaining to any of the groups please contact NAMI NJ office at (732) 940-0991.
On August 19, 2018, NAMI NJ en Español held the Annual Picnic in Johnson Park
with donations and support by Applebees.
The Spanish group in Hudson picnic was held on August 25, 2018,
at James Braddock North Hudson County Park, in North Bergen.
Presence in the Media
Congratulations to the NAMI NJ en Español Family-to-Family Class of 2018!
Latino Community Conference 2009
NAMI NJ en Español Conference 2008