AACT-NOW (African American)
AACT-NOW (African American Community Together NOW) is an exciting initiative of NAMI New Jersey to connect with NJ’s African-American families affected by mental illness, the faith community and mental health professionals to provide culturally competent support, education and advocacy. AACT-NOW goals are to dispel the misconceptions surrounding mental illness and to create an anti-stigma environment for those seeking treatment.
Program Contact: Lisa Powell, Program Coordinator
(732) 940-0991, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
AACT-NOW Advisory Meetings
The AACT-NOW Advisory meets bi-monthly on the 3rd Wednesday evenings of every month (unless otherwise notified), 6-8:30pm at the NAMI NJ office, 1562 Route 130, North Brunswick, NJ.
• Formation of an African American Outreach Advisory Group composed of individuals from the African American Community including family members, clergy, mental health and other professionals.
• Development of AACT-NOW – an initiative established to help African American families and those affected by mental illness to promote awareness, provide resources and act as a support system.
• Community Outreach and Networking (fairs, conferences, festivals, etc.)
• Development of partnerships and jointly sponsored events.
Central Jersey group
3rd Thursday of the month, 7:00pm – 9:00pm
First Baptist Church of Lincoln Gardens
771 Somerset St, Somerset, NJ 08873
Contact: Lisa at (732) 940-0991
Southern Jersey group
3rd Tuesday of the month, 6:30pm – 8:30pm
(in December it will be on the 2nd Tuesday)
Alpha Baptist Church
15 Rose Street, Cares Bldg., Room #6, Willingboro, N.J. 08046
Contact: Winifred at 609-265-0746
Young Adult Society
Youth Adult Society is a social group that offers recreational activities to young adults aged 21 to 35 who have mental health concerns. This group evolved to provide opportunities for social interaction. Activities which are selected by its members include movies, picnics, pizza parties theatrical and sports events, etc. Transportation will be provided by the participants and their families. The activities of this group are recreational, but beyond that Youth Adult Society is a place where you will find acceptance and friendship. For more information about this group, contact Winifred at 609-265-0746 or SJsocietyofadults@gmail.com. Download the Young Adult Society pdf here.
The Onset Program
The Onset Program is an AACT-NOW program currently being presented to houses of worship regarding the onset of mental illness in college-bound students. For more information on this program, contact Jacquese Armstrong, the author of this program, or you can call the NAMI NJ office at 732-940-0991.