NAMI BASICS EDUCATION PROGRAM
The fundamentals of caring for you, your family
and your child with mental illness
What is NAMI Basics?
NAMI Basics is a NAMI signature education program for parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents living with mental illnesses. The course is taught by trained teachers who are the parent or other caregivers of individuals who developed the symptoms of mental illness in childhood. All instruction and course materials are free to class participants.
What are the goals of NAMI Basics?
• To give the parent/caregiver the fundamental information necessary to be an effective caregiver
• To help the parent/caregiver cope with the traumatic impact that mental illness has on the child living with the illness and the entire family
• To provide tools for the parent/caregiver to use even after completing the program that will assist in making the best decisions possible for the care of the child
• To help the parent/caregiver take the best care possible of the entire family – especially themselves
What does the course include?
• Introduction to the normative stages of emotional reactions of the family to the trauma of mental illness
• Current information about Attention Deficit Disorder, Major Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Conduct Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Anxiety Disorders, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Childhood Schizophrenia and Substance Abuse
• Current research related to the biology of mental illness and the evidence-based, most effective treatment strategies available, including medications used to treat mental illness in children and adolescents
• Specific workshops to learn problem solving, listening and communication skills
• Strategies in handling challenging behaviors in children and adolescents
• Information about the systems that are major players in the lives of children and adolescents with mental illness – the school system and the mental health system
• Exposure to personal record keeping systems that have proven to be effective for parents/caregivers in their interactions with the school and healthcare systems
• Information on planning for crisis management and relapse
• Information on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
• Insights into an emphatic understanding of the subjective, lived experience of the child living with the mental illness
• Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services, with an emphasis on personal advocates for the parent/caregiver and child on an individual level
Want to advocate for a child with emotional & behavioral problems? Are you currently caring or have provided care for a child/youth with mental health symptoms? Please consider becoming a NAMI Basics teacher and empower other parents and caregivers in supporting their child more effectively!
NAMI Basics Education Program Teacher Training Workshop
November 16 & 17, 2019
9:00 am – 6:00 pm
Learn more about NAMI Basics and for a time of Q&A.
Join us for a Zoom Webinar on September 18, 2019 at 6pm
Register Here: NAMI Basics in New Jersey Webinar
NAMI Basics in Sussex County
Saturdays, Oct. 5 – Nov. 9, 2019, 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Family Partners of Morris & Sussex Counties
67 Spring St., Newton, NJ 07860
For more information, download flyer.
For more information about the program, please contact
NAMI NJ Office at (732) 940-0991 or email@example.com