AACT-NOW (African American)
AACT-NOW (African American Community Together NOW) is an exciting initiative of NAMI New Jersey to connect with NJ’s African-American families affected by mental illness, the faith community and mental health professionals to provide culturally competent support, education and advocacy. AACT-NOW goals are to dispel the misconceptions surrounding mental illness and to create an anti-stigma environment for those seeking treatment.
Program Contact: Lisa Powell, Statewide Program Coordinator
(732) 940-0991 ext. 117 or e-mail email@example.com
AACT-NOW Advisory Meetings
The AACT-NOW Advisory meets monthly on the 3rd Wednesday evenings of every month (unless otherwise notified), 6-8:30pm at the NAMI NJ office, 1562 Route 130, North Brunswick, NJ.
Four Major Goals of AACT-NOW:
• Increase awareness among African-Americans in NJ that mental illness can be treated, and that anyone can be affected by mental illness – there are no barriers based on class, education or background.
• Help African American individuals and families affected by mental illness set up local self-help groups where they learn coping skills through sharing with people with similar experience.
• Provide referral service for African-American mental health providers to African-American families and individuals.
• Help mental health professionals in NJ to be aware of and sensitive to African American culture on mental health issues and understand the unique struggles that African American individuals and families face when seeking services.
NAMI Family Support Groups
Northern Jersey Group
2nd Wednesday of the month, 6:30pm-8:00pm
St. Matthew A.M.E. Church
336 Oakwood Avenue,
Orange, NJ 07050
Contact: Shanee at (732) 940-0991 ext. 117 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Central Jersey Group
3rd Thursday of the month, 7:00pm-9:00pm
First Baptist Church of Lincoln Gardens
771 Somerset St.
Somerset, NJ 08873
Contact: Donna or Melanece at (732) 940-0991 ext. 117 or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Southern Jersey Group
3rd Tuesday of the month, 6:30pm-8:30pm
(In December it will be on the 2nd Tuesday)
Alpha Baptist Church
15 Rose Street, Cares Bldg., Room #6
Willingboro, NJ 08046
Contact: Winifred at (609) 265-0746, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Young Adult Society
Youth Adult Society is a social group that offers recreational activities to young adults aged 21 to 35 who have mental health concerns. This group evolved to provide opportunities for social interaction. Activities which are selected by its members include movies, picnics, pizza parties theatrical and sports events, etc. Transportation will be provided by the participants and their families. The activities of this group are recreational, but beyond that Youth Adult Society is a place where you will find acceptance and friendship. For more information about this group, contact Winifred at 609-265-0746 or SJsocietyofadults@gmail.com. Download the Young Adult Society brochure here.
Volunteer opportunities for people interested in giving back to the community through service. Contact email@example.com for more information.